Designed by Veethemes.com

#weareknitters

This week is a monumental week.  Something has happened that I never thought in a hundred lifetimes would happen. 

I have knitted a jumper. 


Clearly I didn't knit the whole thing this week, it has, in fact, taken more than a year.   A whole year.  To knit a jumper.  I know full well that my Nan could have done it in a couple of weeks, and I know that I could have trotted to Primark and bought something in a matter of minutes, but I'm gonna say it again, and let it sink in: I. Knitted. An. Actual. Jumper.

I could literally burst with pride at this precise moment.  I LOVE IT.  One of the sleeves is tighter than the other, there is a twist in a stitch at the front, and I had to reknit one entire side as by the time I got to the end of the last sleeve, because my tension had changed form that of a banana fingered beginner, to an accomplished novice.  But I don't care.  It's a design I like, in colours I chose, in a shape that flatters me, and there isn't another one in the whole universe that is like mine.


And my god, am I going to cherish it .  I guess this is THE definition of slow fashion for me.  Taking the time to make something, in fact giving a year of my life to make something (well, on and off, but it sounds more dramatic that way) that will stay in by wardrobe for the rest of my life (hopefully). 

If we're gonna go over the Sustainability Checklist:

Do I have an emotional connection to my garment?  Hell yeah
Did I have to slow down, think about my actions and actively chose to make it?  Yes I did
Was it made an ethical environment?  My sofa is very ethical and comes with cake and biscuits on tap
Is it from a sustainable source?  The cotton is organic, fair-trade, so yup
Was it made using traditional, artisanal techniques?  Yu-huh
Does it come in sustainable packaging?  hat a convenient segway into talking about We Are Knitters...

My jumper was made from a kit by the uber cool WeAreKnitters, all their packaging is paper so easy to recycle, all their needles are made of beech wood, so planet friendly.  And as a tip for any other novice knitters out there, MUCH easier to use than plastic or metal as the stitches are not so inclined to slip off.  I know right?  The pattern was super clear, there was diagrams and shiz, it was awesome.  They are also the most contemporary and stylish knitting collective out there, go check them out.


Now I've finished one, I kid you not, I've started the next one.  Well, when you're a crochet designer by trade, you've gotta have a hobby :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment